Constructing the Figure with Brandon Brownlee
An event every week that begins at 5:30 pm on Tuesday, repeating until November 16, 2021
Instructor: Brandon Brownlee
Dates: Tuesdays, from October 19 – November 16
Time: 5:30 – 8:30 PM
Location: Five Points Arts Center Painting Lab
Class Cap: 12
Work from a live model to learn proportion, anatomy, and how to render the human form. From quick gesture drawings to longer, more developed poses, you will learn how to use light, shade, and value to create form and depict the nuances of the human body.
Click here to download the materials list.
- Various pencils (2H, H, HB, 4B, 6B) (having a wider range of lights and darks is helpful, especially having a very dark dark)
- (optional) pencils – Blackwing 602, Blackwing Pearl (low wax content – great for layering and making dark darks)
- Kneaded eraser
- Exacto blade/Olfa for sharpening pencils (olfa – preference)
- Vine charcoal (for toning paper – can use watercolor or ink wash if preferred)
- Artist Tape
- Drawing board larger than 24”x18” (can get a drawing board from any art store, or a piece of gatorboard. Getting hardboard from a hardware store and having it cut down is also an option)
- 24”x18” Drawing pad (Strathmore 400 series drawing pad – preferred)
- 9”x12” sketchbook or sketchbook of choice
- Hot Pressed watercolor paper (optional for finished drawing)
Brandon Brownlee is an artist living and working in Hartford, Connecticut. He completed an MFA in painting at New York Academy of Art, where he studied figure drawing under Michael Grimaldi and advanced artistic anatomy at Drexel University College of Medicine. He also holds a BFA in Illustration from the Hartford Art School and an AFA in Visual Fine Art from Manchester Community College. Brownlee’s work has been exhibited nationally and internationally and is held in private collections in the United States.