Drawing and Painting from Observation with Brandon Brownlee
An event every week that begins at 2:00 pm on Tuesday, repeating until November 16, 2021
Instructor: Brandon Brownlee
Dates: Tuesdays, from October 19 – November 16
Time: 2:00 – 5:00 PM
Location: Five Points Arts Center Painting Lab
Class Cap: 12
In this observational drawing workshop, students will develop a well designed composition and build strong foundational drawing skills. The class begins with image composition through small studies and will move through refinement and developing a finished drawing. The instructor will conduct drawing demos in an accurate approach to blocking in, composition, separating light and shadow, and developing form. Students will work from a series of still-lifes while receiving individualized feedback in a medium of their choice. All skill levels welcome.
Please click here to download the materials list.
- Various pencils (2H, H, HB, 4B, 6B) (having a wider range of lights and darks is helpful, especially having a very dark dark)
- (optional) pencils – Blackwing 602, Blackwing Pearl (low wax content – great for layering and making dark darks)
- Kneaded eraser
- Exacto blade/Olfa for sharpening pencils (olfa – preference)
- Vine charcoal (for toning paper – can use watercolor or ink wash if preferred)
- Artist Tape
- Drawing board larger than 24”x18” (can get a drawing board from any art store, or a piece of gatorboard. Getting hardboard from a hardware store and having it cut down is also an option)
- 24”x18” Drawing pad (Strathmore 400 series drawing pad – preferred)
- 9”x12” sketchbook or sketchbook of choice
- Hot Pressed watercolor paper (optional for finished drawing)
- Any other medium of your choice (i.e Oil Paints, Pastels, Charcoal, Acrylic Paints)
Brandon Brownlee is an artist living and working in Hartford, Connecticut. He completed an MFA in painting at New York Academy of Art, where he studied figure drawing under Michael Grimaldi and advanced artistic anatomy at Drexel University College of Medicine. He also holds a BFA in Illustration from the Hartford Art School and an AFA in Visual Fine Art from Manchester Community College. Brownlee’s work has been exhibited nationally and internationally and is held in private collections in the United States.